NVIDIA Announces AMD Integrated Graphicsby Wesley Fink on September 20, 2005 1:08 PM EST
- Posted in
NVIDIA announced today the introduction of an Integrated Graphics chipset for the AMD Athlon 64 processor. The GeForce 6100, the new NVIDIA chipset, brings a number of firsts to the market. According to NVIDIA:
- The GeForce 6100 series is the first 90nm GPU to hit the market.
- The nForce 400 series Southbridges, which are combined with the 6100 Northbridge, are the first NVIDIA chips to support Azalia (HD Audio).
- The GeForce 6100 is the first to support high-definition video while still providing customers the ability to offer component-out, composite-out and S-Video-out jacks right on the backplane.
- First UMA (memory sharing) solution to support both DirectX 9.0 and Shader Model 3.
- Optimized for digital media applications such as Daz Studio and Pinnacle Studio 10, along with mainstream games such as Sims2 and Lego Star Wars.
- Boards are all micro-ATX, and many manufacturers plan living room/convergence boxes that look more like video/hifi components than computers.