Last Friday, Brian Klug, Ian Cutress and myself took an hour to discuss a lot of what was on our minds lately. At a high level we discussed building a new Ivy Bridge PC, Brian's picks for best Android smartphones on the market today and even talked a bit about the next iPhone. Go a bit deeper and we had discussions about SSDs, the changing PC landscape, Haswell and much more.

This marks our first ever official AnandTech podcast. The plan is to regularly do more of these and my hope is to be able to rope in all of the AnandTech writers to spend some time on the mic. We're getting an RSS feed for the podcast setup but for now here are direct links to the first episode (mp3 and m4a formats) as well as an embedded player here if you want to get started immediately. The total play time is just over 1 hour (01:01:05) and that will likely be our target going forward. As always, comments are welcome and appreciated. Let us know what you liked, hated and want to hear more of.

• Terry Grant - Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - link

I'm glad you're doing this. It's a great way to get to know you all a little better.

I think the historical composite rant you all did was fine but too long. I really wanted to hear more about what you recomended for the high end desktop/workstation machine for content creation.

Thanks guys.
  • cantcurecancer - Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - link

Loved it! Would definitely like to hear more about smartphone news and reccommendations, the market moves so fast that you need to regularly adjust what you think is a "wise buy".

Also would really like to have these in video instead of audio only.
  • kawatwo - Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - link

Finally, something else to keep me occupied between MaxPC podcasts :) Reply
  • Peroxyde - Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - link

Excellent idea. Thank you very much. Reply
  • ATC9001 - Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - link

Outstanding job guys.

I love the open discussion format, flows very well.

Only possible suggestion could be to add time stamps for major topic shfits...i.e. shift from CPU to Mobile...so people who don't care to hear about something can jump right ahead. Nit picky, but might help some.

Thanks again for keeping it real!
  • kureshii - Wednesday, August 15, 2012 - link

Re one-drive-letter setups, you can still achieve this with multiple drives/partitions simply by using the mount-in-folder option instead of assigning the partition a letter.

I've actually sent in a 2TB Caviar Green during RMA, and gotten back a 2TB Caviar Black. That was a *really* nice experience.
  • deject - Wednesday, August 15, 2012 - link

As soon as this hits iTunes I'm subscribing. I think the podcast was pretty great. Reply
  • critical_ - Wednesday, August 15, 2012 - link

For years I have gotten replacement hard drives from Seagate, Maxtor, and Western Digital that were bigger than the ones I sent back. It doesn't happen all the time but it does happen quite frequently.

Where this was problematic was a bad Western Digital WD20EADS (2TB green) that could enable TLER for hardware RAID which was replaced with a newer TLER-less WD20EARS. WD considers TLER an Enterprise feature but we could always enable it with a utility. They later disabled it in their consumer drives in the hopes of us pushing RAID home users like us towards their much more pricey drives so the WD20EARS was a downgrade. Many of us moved to Hitachi's green drives as they allow the use of TLER but that may be in jeopardy now as they were recently bought by WD.

The other place a non-like-for-like replacement policy trips us up is hardware RAID set ups where it is a good thing to have similar drives throughout an array. I just though I'd share this with you all. Great podcast!
  • Lucian Armasu - Wednesday, August 15, 2012 - link

You should discuss Cortex A5, Cortex A7 and big.Little next time. Compare Cortex A5 with Cortex A7 performance, and then A7 vs A9 performance, and then talk about the role of A7 in big.Little.

You should discuss OpenGL ES 3.0, too, and all the new GPU architectures supporting it, like Mali T600, Adreno 300, Tegra 4, etc.
  • five_seven - Wednesday, August 15, 2012 - link

The first hour of my office job this morning just got a lot less boring! Thank you! Reply