SYSMark 2007

Our first test is the full SYSMark 2007 benchmark suite. It's a system-level performance test that measures performance based on average response time, making it a great candidate for our SSDs, which should provide pretty low response times, at least compared to standard mechanical disks.

SYSMark 2007 Preview Rating

SYSMark is a better CPU test than a storage test, but it still shows that all of these SSDs are easily capable of delivering performance greater than or equal to the VelociRaptor. Note that the JMicron drives are both slower than the 5400RPM notebook hard drive in this test.

E-Learning

Video Creation

Productivity

3D

Random Read/Write Performance PCMark Vantage

• strikeback03 - Wednesday, March 25, 2009 - link

I was wondering the same thing. I'd guess it would be a lot of writing/erasing, so an SSD might not be the best from a longevity standpoint, but if your system is hitting the scratch disk often then the speed might make it worthwhile. Reply
  • mikepers - Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - link

Anand,

I wanted to compliment you on what I think was an excellent article. This is the type of thing I really have always liked from Anandtech. The detailed background, the technical reasons for the issues and then a thorough review of the current state of things.

I just finished upgrading my desktop. The only remaining item I wanted to replace was the hard disk. I had been thinking about getting a Velociraptor but instead I just ordered a 60GB Vertex from Newegg.

Thanks again for all the work.

Mike P.
  • ameatypie - Monday, March 23, 2009 - link

That sure was a lot to take in! Fantastic article though, it has really opened my eyes to the possibilities that Solid State Drives provide. Probably wont be buying one in the immediate future given the so-called depression and such things, but i will certainly keep up with SSD progress.
    Thanks again for your fantastic articles - im sure im not the only one who really appreciates them :)
  • coopchennick - Monday, March 23, 2009 - link

Hey Anand, I just finished reading through this whole article and I'm very impressed with the thoroughness and how informative it was.

You just acquired a new regular reader.
  • zdzichu - Sunday, March 22, 2009 - link

Very nice and thorough article. I only lack more current status of TRIM command support in current operating systems. For example, Linux supports it since last year:

• Sinned - Sunday, March 22, 2009 - link

Outstanding article that really helped me understand SSD drives. I wonder how much of an impact the new SATA III standard will have on SSD drives? I believe we are still at the beginning stage for SSD drives and your article shows that much more work needs to be done. My respect for OCZ and how they responded in a positive and productive way should be a model for the rest of the SSD makers. Thank you again for such a concise article.
    Respectfully,
    Sinned
  • 529th - Sunday, March 22, 2009 - link

The first thing I thought of was Democracy. Don't know why. Maybe it was because a company listened to our common goal of performance. Thank you OCZ for listening, I'm sure it will pay off!!! Reply
  • araczynski - Saturday, March 21, 2009 - link

very nice read. the 4/512 issue seems a rather stupid design decision, or perhaps more likely a stupid problem to find this 4/512 solution as 'acceptable'.

although a great marketing choice, built in automatic life expectancy reduction.

sounds like the manufacturers want the hard drives to become a disposable medium like styrofoam cups.

perhaps when they narrow the disparity down to 4/16, i might consider buying an ssd. that, or when they beat the 'old school' physical platters in price.

until then, get back to the drawing board and stop crapping out these half arsed 'should be good enough' solutions.
  • IntelUser2000 - Sunday, March 22, 2009 - link

araczynski: The 4/512 isn't done by accident. It's done to lower prices. The flash technology used in SSDs are meant to replace platter HDDs in the future. There's no way of doing that without cost reductions like these. Even with that the SSDs still cost several times more per storage space. Reply
  • araczynski - Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - link

i understand that, but i don't remember original hard drives being released and being slower than the floppy drives they were replacing.

this is part of the 'release beta' products mentality and make the consumer pay for further development.

the 5.25" floppy was better than the huge floppy in all respects when it was released. the 3.5" floppy was better than the 5.25" floppy when it was released. the usb flash drives were better than the 3.5" floppies when they were released.

i just hate the way this is being played out at the consumer's expense.