Original Link: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6424/apple-releases-ios-601-fixes-keyboard-artifacts-other-bugs
Apple Releases iOS 6.0.1 - Fixes Keyboard Artifacts, Other Bugs (Update: iOS 6.1 Beta 1 Released As Well)by Brian Klug on November 1, 2012 1:58 PM EST
This morning Apple pushed iOS 6.0.1 (10A525) live for iPads, iPod Touches, and iPhones that can run iOS 6.0. The update fixes a number of bugs that we noted in our review of the iPhone 5, including one which affected the keyboard and occasionally manifested itself with some rendering artifacts. In addition the update promises improved WiFi connectivity for BCM4334 based devices like the iPhone 5 and iPod Touch 5th generation on networks using WPA2 encryption.
The actual changelog is below:
This update contains improvements and bug fixes, including:
- Fixes a bug that prevents iPhone 5 from installing software updates wirelessly over the air
- Fixes a bug where horizontal lines may be displayed across the keyboard
- Fixes an issue that could cause camera flash to not go off
- Improves reliability of iPhone 5 and iPod touch (5th generation) when connected to encrypted WPA2 Wi-Fi networks
- Resolves an issue that prevents iPhone from using the cellular network in some instances
- Consolidated the Use Cellular Data switch for iTunes Match
- Fixes a Passcode Lock bug which sometimes allowed access to Passbook pass details from lock screen
- Fixes a bug affecting Exchange meetings
Interestingly enough the iPhone 5 shipping software has a bug which prevents it from getting the over-the-air update without a standalone helper application. The result is that users updating the iPhone 5 have to go into Software Update, which then begins downloading the helper application. After that's installed, the OTA can download and install normally. The iOS Updater helper application then goes away after the OTA has been installed.
There's also note of a change to improve iPhone cellular connectivity. I'm hoping this resolves some issues I've seen where the iPhone 5 will randomly show no carrier string until after airplane mode is toggled. Curiously enough baseband version for the iPhone 5 remains 1.01.00.
Source: iOS E-Lite (Download Links)
In addition Apple has released iOS 6.1 Beta 1 and Xcode 4.6 for developers. iOS 6 B1 appears to have some new functionality for MapKit, but not much more at this point. What a day for Apple updates!