Back to Article

• Mobile-Dom - Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - link

the fact it doesnt use a Snapdragon 400 interests me, i want to see how this performs against the One Mini 2 and the Moto G Reply
  • craighamilton - Saturday, December 06, 2014 - link

well between the three...S5 mini stands out having been rated as one of the top phone based on consumer satisfaction ( see http://www.topreport.org/phones/ for instance...) Reply
  • Achtung_BG - Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - link

For this price, Huawei Honor 6 is better. Reply
  • ZeDestructor - Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - link

Yet another mid-range phone given the branding (and most of the price) of the flagship...

Dissapointing.
  • ZeDestructor - Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - link

On the other hand, intel LTE chipset.. Looks interesting. Reply
  • jeffkibuule - Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - link

Interesting but outdated, Intel XMM7260 should already be rolling out to OEM customers today. Reply
  • Spuke - Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - link

I didn't see a price. How much is it? Reply
  • ZeDestructor - Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - link

Looking at what's out right now:

From mobicity.com.au (because I live in Australia, funnily enough) unlocked:

SGS5: 699.95
    SGS4: 479.95
    SGS4 Mini 4G LTE: 369.95

The Mini is over 2/3 the price, while having less than 3/4 the performance and much crappier software support (because presumably it will end up being a lower-volume model).
  • Malih - Wednesday, July 02, 2014 - link

The Minis before this do seem like they were lower volume models, but with added gimmicks like water resistance, fingerprint security and heart rate monitor, this could sell better than previous models, considering the competition doesn't have such advantage. Reply
  • Death666Angel - Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - link

The "mini" moniker clearly denotes its specs in this day and age though. Or would you say a Radeon R5 is using the branding of the R9 flagship because of its "R" usage?

And yes, One Mini 2 (wtf were they thinking with that name) has only 1GB if a certain website called "anandtech" can be trusted :D.
  • ZeDestructor - Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - link

Sony Xperia Z1 Compact would like a word. Yes, it's not "Mini", but most people suspect (probably quite correctly) that Sony went with "Compact" to distance themselves from the shoddy practice of "Mini" variants being cut-down parts.

The only downscaled bits are the screen (1080p 5" -> 720p 4.3"), battery (3000mAh -> 2400mAh) and, well, physical size.
  • Mr Perfect - Friday, July 04, 2014 - link

Oh really? Count me interested then. I'd like a small phone that isn't also a cut-down part. Reply
  • phoenix_rizzen - Monday, July 07, 2014 - link

The Sony Compact phones are just that: the same innards as the flagship in a more compact form, generally with a smaller screen being the only real difference. Xperia Z1 Compact, Xperia Z2 Compact. Don't recall if there was an Xperia Z Compact or not.

They're the only one doing the "mini" phone correctly.
  • Laxaa - Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - link

The One Mini 2 has 1GB of RAM, actually. Reply
  • Brandon Chester - Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - link

I just fixed that up and fired off a message to Josh to let him know. Reply
  • JoshHo - Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - link

Sorry about that. I definitely screwed up there. Reply
  • Nintendo Maniac 64 - Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - link

Implying that a 4.5" screen is "mini". Heck the Galaxy S2 in smaller than this supposedly "mini" phone in every dimension (including thickness@!) except width (this: 64.8mm vs S2: 66.1mm) Reply
  • emn13 - Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - link

Yeah, this thing's huge. Frankly, I wouldn't mind an actually decent smartphone that's easily pocketable - say more like 3.2 or 3.5 inch rather than this monster non-mini phone. Reply
  • Alexey291 - Friday, July 04, 2014 - link

Iphone 4s? I don't even use apple but surely its a glaringly obvious suggestion :) Reply
  • KaarlisK - Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - link

The sad thing is, S4 mini probably performs better in most tasks. It has two Krait 300 cores at 1.7GHz – probably WAY better at web browsing. Reply
  • mczak - Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - link

I wouldn't quite say the Krait 300 cores at 1.7 Ghz would be way better in general, but yes on the cpu side it's a side-grade at best (quite a bit faster multi-thread performance, but definitely behind by 30% or so singlethreaded). The gpu I'd consider even to be a downgrade (from adreno 305 to mali 400mp4 - though the clock is quite high for the latter so it might be about the same performance, but you'd wish if they'd gone mali which I could understand since if the rumors are correct you can pretty much get it for free they'd use something better than the quite crappy 400 which is only gles 2.0 capable).
    Other than that, there's nothing in the specs which would make this an upgrade to the s4 mini neither, except the higher resolution and slightly larger screen (and the latter is probably not what everybody wants, as it is probably the reason why the device is both bulkier (in all 3 dimensions even!) plus adding 13% of weight. Ok the battery has somewhat higher capacity too which is always nice but all in all specs wise this looks like fail to me.
  • Mumrik - Tuesday, July 01, 2014 - link

"Mini" - 4.5" screen.

Errrr.....

Remember when 3.5-3.8" was regular size? It's because that's a size most people very comfortably can single-hand.

Having a "mini" version of a phone be larger than that is just stupid. My hands are larger than those of the average guy, yet reaching the far-side upper corner (with a single hand) on my 4.5" Moto G is not comfortable. 4.5" is not "mini", it's just not quite as large as the large phones.
  • jmunjr - Thursday, July 03, 2014 - link

Hmm I don't think you have large hands. I can one hand up to 4.7" phones, though I do better when they are thicker. One reason I like replaceable batteries aside from longer life - the phone is easier to hold and use. Reply
  • Mumrik - Sunday, July 06, 2014 - link

Comfortably reaching the corners. And yes, I have big Scandinavian bear hands. Reply
  • AnnonymousCoward - Wednesday, July 02, 2014 - link

2.5 years ago Samsung announced the Galaxy S2 Skyrocket. 4.5", LTE, 1.5GHz dual, 1GB RAM, 8MP camera. And now we have this S5 Mini with nearly the same specs. WTF? Was Samsung just trying to save a few bucks on component cost? If the phone costs 400 damn dollars, it should have better components to begin with. And if not, pass that cost onto me: I'll pay $415 for the right components. Not $400 for crap. Reply
  • Malih - Wednesday, July 02, 2014 - link

Sadly phones that have better specs with similar price, usually have to compromise somewhere else, like OS version, features, and/or support. Reply
  • Malih - Wednesday, July 02, 2014 - link

I remember reading in another site that despite downgrade in specs, they keep the added features/gimmicks, like water resistance and more. Reply
  • Malih - Wednesday, July 02, 2014 - link

by more, I mean the sensors of the S5 Reply
  • jmunjr - Thursday, July 03, 2014 - link

If it has a user-replaceable battery then this may be a good choice for me and my brother. Can anyone think of as good a phone at this size with a battery that can be replaced? Reply
  • krumme - Friday, July 04, 2014 - link

The text says "Samsung has improved the display panel to a 720p SAMOLED" but in the specs sheet it says IPS LCD. There seems to be an error in the specs, its probably an oled screen. Reply
  • tipoo - Sunday, July 06, 2014 - link

Is that Mali 450 GPU better or worse than the other quad A7 competition, the Adreno 305 in the Snapdragon 400 (in the Moto G and such)? Reply
  • waoweo - Monday, July 14, 2014 - link

I have Samsung galaxy s5 cell phone. It has brilliant display
  • slickdoors - Saturday, August 02, 2014 - link

I recommend the suppliers sell the Samsung Galaxy 5 http://www.brotechstore.com/ Reply
  • ritwik - Tuesday, October 14, 2014 - link

If I compare Samsung Galaxy S5 with Huawei's Honor 6, I can see that I have almost the same features and some features in Honor 6 are much more superior in comparison to Samsung Galaxy S5. You can check the detailed comparison here: http://wp.me/p5cjTD-c Reply