Back to Article

• BreezeDM - Tuesday, June 03, 2014 - link

Boo, my Nexus 7 II hasn't gotten it yet. I hope it fixes the camera locking issue as well. Reply
  • Wolfpup - Tuesday, June 03, 2014 - link

They JUST NOW thought of precompiling code? LOL. That's like there previous astonishing "just getting around to doing a TRIM equivalent and having encrypted storage" of the last update. Good freaking grief does Google make it clear they don't know what they're doing.

Hey, maybe someday they'll even check for revoked certificates LOL

Oh well, hopefully my Nexus 7 will get it sooner rather than later.
  • t_r_nelson - Tuesday, June 03, 2014 - link

Did you read the article? They put the precompile in v4.4. That was released in Oct. 2013. And I'm sure it was in dev for a while before that. Not "JUST NOW."

And, obviously, they "don't know what they're doing' with the success of Android devices.
  • doubledeej - Tuesday, June 03, 2014 - link

Success doesn't equate to producing a quality product. It seems to have more to do with marketing ability. Reply
  • anandreader106 - Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - link

You forgot a huge ingredient to a product's success which is price point. Reply
  • pixelstuff - Thursday, June 05, 2014 - link

Seems like Apple has better marketing ability than most other companies out there. I think your conclusion is flawed. Android is a success for the same reasons Windows was a success so many years ago. Reply
  • HisDivineOrder - Friday, June 06, 2014 - link

Pretty much the reason I'm using Android. Reply
  • hfm - Tuesday, June 03, 2014 - link

+1 to t_r_nelson's comment..

I've been using ART for quite some time now. Just enable developer mode and turn it on, been there for quite some time.
  • Zoomer - Tuesday, June 03, 2014 - link

Code was already interpreted and optimized to optimized dalvik bytecode. I assume it would require a different VM, and from my naive pov, NOT trivial to make.

I suggest you understand how java and JIT compilation works before going further.
  • Ragin69er - Tuesday, June 03, 2014 - link

ART was worked on in secret for over two years ahead of it's release in Oct. 2013 with 4.4. It's a very involved process changing your entire system from JIT to precompiled. Heck it isn't even much faster at the moment because there is so much debugging work in the ART code to ensure it is working properly. Reply
  • Alexey291 - Tuesday, June 03, 2014 - link

Its also not much faster (if at all faster) than Dalvik due to devs having had ALL THIS TIME to optimise for it :)

Maybe one day it will be worth moving on to ART but right now it hardly matters which you use.

Still it does seem like the right direction so I hope they persevere in making it the default.
  • max1001 - Thursday, June 05, 2014 - link

What are you talking about. It recompile every time there's an update. They just call "optimizing" instead of recompiling because it sounds better. Reply
  • NonSequitor - Tuesday, June 03, 2014 - link

I do hope this includes a fix for the Nexus 7 sensor problem. When my Nexus 7 (2012) was updated to 4.4.2 all of the sensors stopped working. I'm not alone in this problem. Reply
  • NeonFlak - Tuesday, June 03, 2014 - link

Hopefully 4.4.3 fixing bluetooth Reply
  • TheSlamma - Thursday, June 05, 2014 - link

I just hope they add more tracking so advertisers can reach me better. Reply
  • thesafetyisoff - Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - link

Wish they would fix SD card access. I understand that they have concerns about inferior cards affecting app performance, but their solution to prevent writing to the card in many circumstances is ridiculous. Reply
  • HisDivineOrder - Friday, June 06, 2014 - link

Not if they want you buying devices with larger flash capacities for marked up pricing (though not as marked up as Apple devices admittedly). Reply
  • jvl - Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - link

It pains me to see how they don't make use of a navbar / statusbar matching the content on screen. Seems like a obvious tweak in UX to me? Reply
  • jase240 - Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - link

So they are adding in ZRAM? This feature has already been in most custom ROMs for years(such as Cyanogenmod), I think Google is a little behind on adding this. Reply
  • goats - Wednesday, June 04, 2014 - link

Android is on a roll! They continue to set the bar higher so that users will always gets excited and thrilled to know that they have to offer. http://www.crittermap.com/app/pack-goat-jump-jetpa... Reply
  • MikieTImT - Thursday, June 05, 2014 - link

Got the update on my Samsung S4 GPE yesterday, so the Google Experience devices are already rolling out as well. Reply
  • prime2515103 - Thursday, June 05, 2014 - link

I got this update yesterday for my Note 3 (T-Mobile). When I checked for updates on the phone it said it was up to date, but the Kies software had the update. Reply
  • sniffles - Thursday, June 05, 2014 - link

I just hope that this update fixes the Blue Tooth / Wi-Fi issue that was introduce in 4.4.2. I could not have my Wi-Fi and Blue Tooth on at the same time. I will see if it fixes the issue on my way home tonight. Reply
  • pixelstuff - Thursday, June 05, 2014 - link

Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 (2012) just got the update. Reply
  • pixelstuff - Thursday, June 05, 2014 - link

Interestingly they are different sized downloads.
    Nexus 4 = 77.9 MB