Back to Article

• fic2 - Wednesday, November 02, 2011 - link

Obviously they are holding it wrong.

(someone was going to say it)
  • Urbanmech - Wednesday, November 02, 2011 - link

I didn't notice any battery difference on my iPad2 with iOS5. I just have the base 16GB Wifi only model. Reply
  • Subzero0000 - Wednesday, November 02, 2011 - link

I feel that it dries out about 30 minutes earlier than it used to. Mine is iPad2 16GB 3G (always on). Reply
  • wickman - Friday, November 04, 2011 - link

I had no problems with my iPad 2 (16gb 3G) on iOS5, nor did my iPhone 4 have any issues on iOS5. I could probably see the 30 minute lower life but my usage is so mixed it's hard to get a consistent estimate.

But I did buy a black and a white 16gb 4S and I did see noticeable worse battery life on the black model. I would have to charge it daily, by the end of the day I may be down to 20% life. But the white model has been considerably better. With the same usage, I have been able to arrive home with 40% or even 50% battery life. So there is clearly an issue with one of my phones that I purchased, but it is unclear if the issue is either hardware (junk battery perhaps?) or software (have yet to try this latest patch).
  • bjacobson - Wednesday, November 02, 2011 - link

must have been running with steve jobs mode enabled. Reply
  • inplainview - Wednesday, November 02, 2011 - link

What are you, 12 or just stupid? Reply
  • ananduser - Wednesday, November 02, 2011 - link

Why so serious ? Sarcasm mode fail ? Or are you just mad your favorite gadget is scrutinized... You should take some time off the Internets. Reply
  • sigmatau - Wednesday, November 02, 2011 - link

He calls people morons and what not that say anything wrong about Apple. I even owned a 3GS and was told not to comment negatively on an ios5 review. Rabid, blind, deaf, monkeys to me. Reply
  • doobydoo - Thursday, November 03, 2011 - link

I think maybe his problem is not with 'commenting negatively' on Apple, but more making a job about a dead man which just isn't funny. Reply
  • doobydoo - Thursday, November 03, 2011 - link

a joke* Reply
  • B3an - Wednesday, November 02, 2011 - link

u mad bro?
  • samfms - Wednesday, November 02, 2011 - link

No guys.....A fast-draining battery is a feature.

Remember, with apple, no mistakes are made....and everything happens for a reason...thus it must be a feature !

/Sarcasm
  • doobydoo - Thursday, November 03, 2011 - link

Yeah, Apple coming out, admitting the problem, and immediately issuing a fix is definitely grounds to criticise them. Reply
  • ananduser - Thursday, November 03, 2011 - link

You mean like they admitted a known design flaw in the 4's battery ? Reply
  • doobydoo - Friday, November 04, 2011 - link

I don't know if you read the article.

It's not a flaw with the hardware (the battery itself), it's a software issue. Hence they are able to correct it with a new software release.

To answer your question, yes, they admitted that there was a software bug. Their first bullet point is: 'Fixes bugs affecting battery life'
  • name99 - Thursday, November 03, 2011 - link

Exactly WHEN did Apple claim it never made mistakes or had bugs in the code?
    Heck, in this very release, apart from the battery life bug fixes they are undoing the policy of restricting (for whatever reason) the new multi-tasking gesture to iPad2 only.

Making sarcastic comments about a policy/claim that doesn't even EXIST does not make you a genius --- it marks you as an insecure fool who is wasting other people's time.
  • samfms - Friday, November 04, 2011 - link

Lighten up dude....no need for calling me names.

Apple does make some good quality products. However, they usually claim that their hardware/software is far superior to others......they take a heck of a long time to admit any fault......and they usually issue fixes without trying to attract much attention to keep the mostly tech- un-savvy user base unaware that apple products could be flawed/buggy.

Having said this...their early announcement about the presence of this software bug is commendable to say the least.....and i wish they continue with this trend
  • uhuznaa - Wednesday, November 02, 2011 - link

I've just restored my iPhone 4 from the backup after updating to iOS 5 and there're no problems with the battery. Reply
  • solipsism - Wednesday, November 02, 2011 - link

Brian,

It sounds like your 4S's weren't affected by this bug but I have to ask if you're going to retest to see if the battery life results change with this update?
  • cditty - Thursday, November 03, 2011 - link

I keep installing the beta in Xcode on my provisioned, developer 4S... Each time, it fails to activate saying this is not a developer phone and I have to flash back to the release.

Any other developers seeing this?
  • solipsism - Thursday, November 03, 2011 - link

I personal haven't but this is a known issue with some developers. I haven't yet read about a resolution. Reply
  • choirbass - Thursday, November 03, 2011 - link

After updating from 4.3.3 to 5.0 a few days ago on my iP4, I had a dramatic increase in battery life. Going from 1% draining every few minutes under heavy usage, to every 10-15 minutes under the same usage conditions. Granted, it was jailbroken before, but many things were intentionally disabled in an effort to increase both battery life and performance. Reply
  • hamsterkiller - Thursday, November 03, 2011 - link

For me, heavy usage is, at least, screen on.

Playing a game. Recording a Video. Looking Youtube. Surfing Internet.

Are u saying that with heavy usage the phone lasts between 17 and 25 hours?

You are the lucky one that his iPhone last much more than Apple specifications!
  • Souka - Friday, November 04, 2011 - link

Friend has an iPhone4 she uses for work.

After this update (to the cloud....)... she lost most of her gmail and work Outlook contacts.

She went to an Apple store, their "Geniuses" said it's a Google/Microsoft problem.
    She went to a Microsoft store, they said it's an Apple problem.

I agree...Apple problem.
    Currently she's trying to get her IT dept to restore her Exchange/outlook contacts.
    I helped her retrieve her Gmail ones.

"It just works"... heh...
  • fdfgsfdf - Friday, November 04, 2011 - link