• What
    is this?
    You've landed on the AMD Portal on AnandTech. This section is sponsored by AMD. It features a collection of all of our independent AMD content, as well as Tweets & News from AMD directly. AMD will also be running a couple of huge giveaways here so check back for those.
    PRESENTED BY

This week on the AnandTech Podcast we discuss the latest in chip architecture disclosures (both intentional and leaked) from AMD and Intel. Steamroller, Jaguar and Valleyview are all on the table. The crew discusses recent Thunderbolt announcements as well as the big iPhone NFC issue from last week.

A quick correction to the podcast: Micron's mSATA C400 is currently only available in capacities of up to 256GB, not 512GB as I incorrectly stated. The move to 128Gbit NAND will give us 512GB mSATA drives.

The AnandTech Podcast - Episode 3
featuring Anand Shimpi, Brian Klug & Dr. Ian Cutress

iTunes
RSS - mp3, m4a
Direct Links - mp3, m4a

Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes

As always, comments are welcome and appreciated. Let us know what you liked, hated and want to hear more of.

• donopj2 - Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - link

Mentioning the comment about the Battery Fairy made this podcast Reply
  • Loki726 - Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - link

Anand, you ask about what technology evolutions look like in regards to SSDs in the hard drive industry. This book examines this exact issue, looking back over 30+ years of the hard drive industry.

• Peanutsrevenge - Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - link

Check this offer on top SSDs

Friend already had a 120 in his new rig, ended up ordering another given the price and may get one more.
  • CyborgTMT - Tuesday, September 04, 2012 - link

Just wanted to throw out my usage model for my V.Raptor in my system. I run 2 intel SSDs, one for the OS and the other for mostly games. I also have a 2 TB drive for storage. My V.Raptor (300gb drive) is used for primarily anything I don't want to waste cycles on my SSD but still need more speed that the storage drive offers. Video and audio converting, less frequently used programs, and files I transfer between this pc and other devices are generally loaded on it. Reply
  • dishayu - Wednesday, September 05, 2012 - link

Good episode. The sound issues have been resolved as well, i see. Liked the part about NFC very much.

I would love to hear someone on the staff go on an extended rant on Apple's patent trolling as well. Although it won't bode too well with Apple if you do it on record, perhaps?
  • Kevin G - Wednesday, September 05, 2012 - link

I really liked the discussion of SoC's and OEM's but multiple times you guys held back some thoughts because you felt you were being too speculative. Don't. It is good to get some insight to where you think things will go and the reasons you think they will as long as you properly label as your own predictions. Also don't be afraid to stick your neck out about predicting the future out of fear that you'll be wrong. It is the future, no one knows what is going to happen but find some pride in things you got right.

Also I wish there was a bit more about Hot Chips with other big iron chips, mainly the POWER7+ and the new SPARC chips.

I like the bit about storage, hard drives and SSD. You guys danced around the idea of SSD caching, speed vs. capacity but didn't touch the key feature missing from bringing all of this together for consumers: a new mainstream file system. The server space has ZFS and a new file system introduced in Windows 2012 but consumers are still stuck with NTFS and HFS+ for the decade.

I look forward to more of these. I'd like to throw out the suggestion of what you feel would make the ultimate motherboard or the ultimate video card and compare that to what you see on the market today. Maybe throw out a few ideas for niche products you'd like to see.
  • GrizzledYoungMan - Wednesday, September 05, 2012 - link

Seriously, best tech podcast out there. Buttery smooth and thoughtful.

Wow, we sound like bots.
  • boshi - Wednesday, September 05, 2012 - link

I like how the Anandtech team are willing to jump into the technical details, such as the iPhone screen rumors and how it would likely be implemented. Keep it up! Reply
  • Meaker10 - Thursday, September 06, 2012 - link

Was £43 inc vat delivered actually (free delivery for forum members) Reply
  • Saruji - Friday, September 07, 2012 - link

The URL for this podcast is http://www.anandtech.com/rss/podcast
    In case anyone else was looking for it, to add to their players