Game Loading Performance

I chose two games to show both ends of the load time spectrum. The first test is World of Warcraft, I'm simply timing how long it takes from the character selection screen to a fully loaded scene in the realm I've chosen. Fully loaded means no more popping textures or waiting for anything else to load:

The Intel X25-M does the best here, even slightly outperforming the X25-E thanks to a more consumer-optimized firmware. The two OCZ drives occupy the third and fourth places, followed by the rest of the pack. No hard drive can keep up here thanks to the superior random read speed of a SSD.

The Far Cry 2 test is simply running the default benchmark and timing how long it takes to get from clicking launch to the loaded level:

While the SSDs take the cake here, the VelociRaptor isn't far behind. Once again the two Intel drives take the lead, followed by the two OCZ drives. The Vertex and the Summit tie in performance.

Application Launch Times Final Words

• ameatypie - Monday, March 23, 2009 - link

That sure was a lot to take in! Fantastic article though, it has really opened my eyes to the possibilities that Solid State Drives provide. Probably wont be buying one in the immediate future given the so-called depression and such things, but i will certainly keep up with SSD progress.
    Thanks again for your fantastic articles - im sure im not the only one who really appreciates them :)
  • coopchennick - Monday, March 23, 2009 - link

Hey Anand, I just finished reading through this whole article and I'm very impressed with the thoroughness and how informative it was.

You just acquired a new regular reader.
  • zdzichu - Sunday, March 22, 2009 - link

Very nice and thorough article. I only lack more current status of TRIM command support in current operating systems. For example, Linux supports it since last year:

• Sinned - Sunday, March 22, 2009 - link

Outstanding article that really helped me understand SSD drives. I wonder how much of an impact the new SATA III standard will have on SSD drives? I believe we are still at the beginning stage for SSD drives and your article shows that much more work needs to be done. My respect for OCZ and how they responded in a positive and productive way should be a model for the rest of the SSD makers. Thank you again for such a concise article.
    Respectfully,
    Sinned
  • 529th - Sunday, March 22, 2009 - link

The first thing I thought of was Democracy. Don't know why. Maybe it was because a company listened to our common goal of performance. Thank you OCZ for listening, I'm sure it will pay off!!! Reply
  • araczynski - Saturday, March 21, 2009 - link

very nice read. the 4/512 issue seems a rather stupid design decision, or perhaps more likely a stupid problem to find this 4/512 solution as 'acceptable'.

although a great marketing choice, built in automatic life expectancy reduction.

sounds like the manufacturers want the hard drives to become a disposable medium like styrofoam cups.

perhaps when they narrow the disparity down to 4/16, i might consider buying an ssd. that, or when they beat the 'old school' physical platters in price.

until then, get back to the drawing board and stop crapping out these half arsed 'should be good enough' solutions.
  • IntelUser2000 - Sunday, March 22, 2009 - link

araczynski: The 4/512 isn't done by accident. It's done to lower prices. The flash technology used in SSDs are meant to replace platter HDDs in the future. There's no way of doing that without cost reductions like these. Even with that the SSDs still cost several times more per storage space. Reply
  • araczynski - Tuesday, March 24, 2009 - link

i understand that, but i don't remember original hard drives being released and being slower than the floppy drives they were replacing.

this is part of the 'release beta' products mentality and make the consumer pay for further development.

the 5.25" floppy was better than the huge floppy in all respects when it was released. the 3.5" floppy was better than the 5.25" floppy when it was released. the usb flash drives were better than the 3.5" floppies when they were released.

i just hate the way this is being played out at the consumer's expense.
  • hellcats - Saturday, March 21, 2009 - link

Anand,

What a great article. I usually have to skip forwards when things bog down, but they never did with this long, but very informative article. Your focus on what matters to users is why I always check anandtech first thing every morning.
  • juraj - Saturday, March 21, 2009 - link

I'm curious what capacity is the OCZ Vertex drive reviewed. Is it an 120 / 250g drive or supposedly slower 30 / 60g one? Reply